Saturday, October 29, 2011

❤ The Fluoride Controversy

So many people wonder if they should be switching to a "natural" and fluoride-free toothpaste.  I wrestled with this decision as well, here's what I came up with:

Conventional toothpaste= full of nasty things I hate like SLS and artificial whatnot. Plus I heard fluoride can be poisionous! What the heck?
"Natural" toothpaste= doesn't clean and protect nearly as well, leave my teeth with that "sweatery" feeling, and can still contain some questionable stuff like glycerine.

So here's the decision I came to, you may or may not share my opinion, but hopefully this will give you some food for thought, just brush your teeth after...........
Fluoride started being put into public water systems in the 50's to reduce the occurrence of cavities primarily in children. The overall rate of cavities did dramatically decrease during the next 20 years and fluoride was mainly given the credit- though other factors may have been at work as well: like better oral health education and more access to dental care.  Fluoride is a naturally-occuring mineral, that can actually poison you in large quantities (like if an adult consumed a couple of tubes toothpaste), but there is a lot of clinical and anecdotal data to support the claim that it helps with overall tooth and enamel health. Also, "natural" toothpastes lacking fluoride don't really clean your teeth of tartar and plaque as well as their conventional counterparts.  Even with using a Sonicare and flossing daily- the 6 months I used "natural" SLS and fluoride-free toothpaste I had the worst plaque and tartar buildup I have ever had in my life (so much so that my regular hygienist asked me what I had changed as she subjected me to a long and really uncomfortable cleaning). I live in Seattle, and I would say people here are pretty health and chemical conscious (urban hippies, anyone?). Plus the area where I live has a highly reputable college for alternative medicine, so the dentists here have seen lots of people that try to avoid fluoride and all the nasty chemical components in toothpastes at disastrous consequences to their teeth, (crowns, fillings, gum loss) something that she shared with me at length.
So here is the gist: enamel and gum tissue cannot be replaced, once it is gone it is lost forever. Also, the chemical compounds and resins used to make fillings is far worse for you than anything that is in a tube of toothpaste.  Even though they eventually harden and cure, those toxic chemicals stay in your mouth forever, not mere minutes like toothpaste. Not to mention that the actual drilling and subsequent replacement of fillings can damage and crack your teeth and gum disease can cause all sorts of issues, even heart problems. Since fluoride and tartar control toothpastes are effective for preventative maintenance for tartar control, enamel loss, cavities, and gum tissue loss due to gingivitis (aka plaque and tartar buildup) it makes sense to use them if you are heading off far worse consequences. Think of it like medicine, you probably don't like taking all those chemicals but sometimes the potential alternative is far scarier than the treatment.  
Like you, I try to avoid chemicals wherever possible and I HATE that the toothpastes that are most effective have things like fluoride, artificial sweeteners and SLS. BUT at the expense of something far worse, it just isn't worth it. Just to be sure I don't ingest any toothpaste, I rinse my mouth really well two or three times after I am done and always use a very small amount.  Read my blog and others in my sidebar to research products that save on chemicals in other areas of your life: shampoo, deodorant, soap, makeup, cleaning products etc. and buy a really "good" dentist approved toothpaste (I was told that statin fluoride found in Crest toothpastes has been shown to be the most "useable" type for enamel health).
Cheers! I'm off to brush my teeth.
❤Eco Belle Elle

3 comments:

  1. I like the argument you make. I am still trying to figure out if it is worth switching completely away from fluoride toothpaste.

    I would still like do some more research. For now we switch from natural toothpaste to mainstream toothpaste until I feel okay with using only one.

    Thanks again for post on this topic! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!
    I am using Weleda Salt toothpaste and it is completely natural AND it does clean my teeth perfectly, even better than the conventional ones.And I agree that most natural toothpaste don´t clean well but this one does.I think you should give it a try because flouride is a REALLY nasty thing. http://usa.weleda.com/our-products/shop/salt-toothpaste.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OmGosh! I a so glad I came across your blog. I also am one who has slowly converted over to organic or real natural products and food wherever possible. regarding toothpaste, I switched over about 6 months ago to natural toothpaste for reasons you stated above. I have always had beautiful white teeth with no tarter/plaque buildup problems. no cavities, gum issues etc. I see a dentist maybe every two years and he is always completely impressed with my teeth and gum condition.

    Since changing over to the natural toothpaste i have not changed any other dental or eating habits. last night after brushing my teeth, i decided to take a close up view(with magnifying mirror) of my chops...and to my total horror(im not kidding..i was freaking out!)I saw about 6 teeth that the gum line had receded and there was total plaque buildup. My two bottom front teeth were browning from the plaqued out gums all the way through the insides where i normally would floss. I am pretty convinced that this is do to my change in toothpaste. I appreciate your comment that the long term care of teeth in the dentist chair with fillers and such can be way more chemical filled and dangerous..not to mention costly. Thank you for letting me give input.

    Btw..this is the first time I have ever responded to any blog. This has horrified me so bad and I was happy to find your blog.

    ReplyDelete