Monday, October 3, 2011

❤ Lipstick & Glosses ❤

My close friend was telling me the other day how she just got rid of her two year old's pacifier.  They had planned to have a little ritual where they were going to set the pacifier free by tying it to a balloon.  They even had a children's book about being a big girl and saying goodbye to the pacifier (though in reality all their planning was for naught, and "pacie" was set "free" by being unceremoniously spit into the kitchen trash can). Though I didn't have a ceremonial goodbye. I do remember the day I got rid of my lipstick stash.  It was so sad!  I have to say: Connelly, my darling girl, I understand your pain.  Tossing those in the trash was a lot like losing an old, trusted friend.  I felt a little lost, a little empty.  I know it's just lip gloss, but you try it, it is a hard switch!

These days my lip product coffers have been thankfully refilled.  I have tried a lot of organic/lipsticks at this point so I feel pretty confident about reviewing my favorites...... So here we go!  These are all around $20 unless otherwise noted.

❤ Primitive- This is by far the best "natural" lipstick brand I have found.  The colors are beautiful and wearable.  It feels and smells like regular lipstick.  Like MAC shades it is vanilla flavored/scented, unlike MAC the vanilla is natural. It is moisturizing and it lasts a really long time.  In other words it really does rival regular lipstick.  I have the Sahara color and it is a perfect pinky nude. I also loved the Corsica color which was a slightly deeper and pinker nude.  I don't think you can go wrong with any lipstick from their line.  I am hoping that they come out with more colors soon, as they don't have a huge color range. The ingredients are fantastic too!

❤ 100% Pure-  I love the color options as they have a pretty large range, but honestly most of them are in the pinky/red/peachy range so if you are looking for something other than that you might have to look elsewhere.  I have yet to find a truly nude color from them, since most are more pink than nude.  That said I love all the colors and the one I got called Lychee.  Yeah it is more pink, but I really don't need 20 lipsticks in the same nude shade like I used to have.  I love the pigment content, soft creamy consistency and fruity scent of these lip glazes.  One of the best things about them is that as they wear off they leave a pretty stain on your lips that you can just reapply gloss over.  The pigments are from fruit sources instead of mineral sources, which I think helps the lipstick (actually called lip glaze) be a little more moisturizing. Makeup alley has a really good photo of the color swatches and I found the colors and descriptions to be pretty accurate on the website.  Watch out for other products containing Japanese Honeysuckle and Vitamin A- the Japanese Honeysuckle is one ingredient to always avoid as it is an estrogen mimicker and can also be tainted with other chemicals.

❤ Vapour- You all know I love my Vapour Siren lipstick- and the Possess color is the perfect neutral pale pink.  Think 1960's Bridgette Bardot kind of pink.  I love this formula, but I do wish it lasted a bit longer, although I am not willing to use the lipsticks with plastics ingredients just so I don't have to reapply.  I have three of the siren lipsticks and the colors are all really nice.  The scent is slightly citrusy and very nice.  Get 'em on the Vapour website or Spirit Beauty Lounge.

❤ Hemp Organics- this one has a really great ingredient listing, but I will admit, the consistency is a little drier than I would like.  Like many mineral lipsticks, the consistency is a bit different between different colors, attributed to the type of pigments being used.  I got the color Rose Quartz and it is a pretty pop of pink.  I really like their large range of colors, but hate the company website color images.  You can sometimes find these at Whole Foods.

❤❤ Gloss

❤ Burt's Bees Super Shiny Gloss- This is what I end up wearing most days.  Easy, slightly shimmery and super glossy, I just don't think you can go wrong with these little beauties.  They're affordable at $7 and easy to find, look no further than your local Target, or even Nordstrom Rack. I have three of the 6 available colors, including zesty red, which isn't really red, just a sheer darker pink that is like your lip color, only better.  I also have nectar nude, a shimmer pale peach and sweet pink which is a shimmery pale pink.  The ingredient list for this is good, though I can't vouch for all of Burt's lip products.

❤ Vapour Elixr Gloss & Elixr Plumping Gloss-  good nude glosses, though kind of sheer with not much color payoff.  The darker colors like entice and bitten have a lot more pigment, but all of them wear off quickly.  Good moisturizing qualities, yummy natural scent and nice to layer over the other lipsticks.  I have honor and pout, in the plumping variety.  They don't plump much and both are really pale nudes with honor being more pink.  In the Elixr Gloss I have twinkle, sultry and hush.  Sultry is definitely the most pigmented, with twinkle and hush being basically sheer.

1 comment:

  1. Oh..this explain why my 100%pure lipglaze in peach have a hint of pink in it!! I want a color between red and brown,now it confusing me what I should choose.I don't want a hint of pink in my next 100%pure lipglaze purchase -__-...

    ReplyDelete